kenwood TH K20
A powerful communications tool in every sense, KENWOOD’s new TH-K20A/K40A radio offers 5.5 watts of RF output to ensure reliable performance.
Numerous features ensure superb operating ease, yet it is small enough to fit comfortably in the palm. Both display and keypad are backlit for night-time use, and for added convenience everyday functions are pre-programmed to 11 keys with an additional PF key that can be assigned a custom function. Plus, the construction is rugged enough to stand up to the worst weather. Inside and out, the TH-K20A/K40A is fully equipped for clear communications — wherever and whenever needed.
- kenwood TH K20 Users will appreciate just how light (just 210g) and thin (54mm) this radio is. Yet there is no compromise on construction: it meets or exceeds the stringent IP54 dust and water intrusion standards as well as the MILSTD 810 C, D, E, F & G environmental standards, making it rugged enough for demanding outdoor use in bad weather.
- The TH-K20A/K40A has 200 memory channels – with a 6-digit Memory Name function to enable clear identification – plus 6 program scan memories, 1 call channel and 1 priority channel.
- kenwood TH K20 Another feature that sets the TH-K20A/K40A apart is sound: it benefits from the audio expertise for which KENWOOD is renowned. High sound pressure – which is not the same as volume – delivers a clarity that is unmistakable. Just listen once and you will appreciate what a difference it makes.
- kenwood TH K20 This radio is supplied with a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery plus a convenient cradle charger.
- kenwood TH K20 Everyday functions are pre-programmed to 11 of the 12 keys. The additional PF key can be assigned a custom function, making it possible to tailor the TH-K20A/K40A for optimum convenience. There is no need to use a menu: one key push provides direct access. And to prevent accidental operation, three types of key lock are provided.
- kenwood TH K20 The TH-K20A/K40A offers convenient hands-free operation when using an optional headset. The internal VOX (voice-operated transmission) circuitry provides automatic PTT and a 10-level (Off/1-9) sensitivity adjustment to suit different ambient noise levels. VOX delay time is also adjustable.
- kenwood TH K20 By simply connecting the TH-K20A/K40A to a computer running KENWOOD’s free MCP-5A software with the optional PG-4Y cable, one can easily manage dozens of memory channels and memory names. This is also a convenient way to modify or copy settings.
- Backlighting for the large 13-segment LCD display is a welcome feature when picking memory names or changing settings. Similarly, keypad backlighting facilitates operation in low-light situations.
- Thanks to the built-in CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) and DCS (Digital Code Squelch) encoder/ decoder, the TH-K20A/K40A can handle 42 CTCSS sub-tone frequencies plus 104 DCS codes. And one can set separate TX and RX signalling types so as to access a repeater that uses different encode/decode signalling.
- When activated, this function will sound an audible alert and flash a bell symbol to indicate an incoming call. Both elapsed time and the number of missed calls are clearly displayed.
Power On Message
Band Scan, Program Scan, MR Scan, CALL Scan, CTCSS Scan / DCS Scan
Wide/Narrow Channel Spacing •
Busy Channel Lockout
Key Lock Type Select
SMA Antenna Connector
Automatic Repeater Offset
1750 Hz Tone Access
Direct Keypad Frequency Entry
DTMF Autodial Memories (16ch, up to 16 digits)
Battery Capacity Indicator (on transmit)
Electronic Serial Number
- – Tone Alert (Bell)
– Cross Tone
– Weather CH Scan
– Firmware Upgradeable
– Key Lock Type Select
- – 5.5W RF Output for 144MHz
– 5.0W RF Output for 430MHz
– Power-On Message
– Direct Function Key
– Direct Frequency Entry
– Auto Repeater Offset
– 1750 Hz Tone Burst
– Time-Out Timer
– Battery Select (Li-ion / AAA Battery)
– Beat Shift
– Frequency Shift
– VOX Circuit included (Operation with Optional headset)
– Battery Capacity Indicator
– Wide / Narrow Deviation Selection (Per Channel)
– Busy Channel Lock-Out
kenwood TH K20
|Frequency Range||TX||136 – 174 MHz||400 – 470 MHz|
|RX||136 – 174 MHz||400 – 470 MHz|
|Antenna Impedance||50 Ω|
|Operation Temperature Range||-20 °C ~ +60 °C|
|Operating Voltage||DC 6.0 ~ 9.0 V (Standard Voltage DC 7.4 V)|
|Frequency Stability||±2.5 ppm|
|Microphone Impedance||2 kΩ|
|Battery Life* (Figures approximate)||High / Mid / Low|
|with KNB-63L||6 / 8.5 / 10.5 Hour|
|with KNB-65L||8 / 11.5 / 14 Hours|
|with BT-16||6 / 8 / 10 Hours|
|Dimensions (W x H x D),
Projections not included
|54 x 111.7 x 14.4 mm
54 x 111.7 x 25.3 mm
|Weight||Radio Only||approx. 138 g|
|with KNB-63L||approx. 210 g|
|RF Power Output||High||5.5 W||5 W|
|with BT-16||approx.3.5 W|
|Maximum Frequency Deviation||Within ±5 kHz|
|Moduration Distortion||Less than 5 % (300 Hz ~ 3 kHz)|
|Circuitry||Double super heterodyne|
|Intermediate Frequency||1st IF: 38.85 MHz / 2nd IF: 450 kHz|
|Sensitivity (12dB SINAD)||Less than 0.16 μV||Less than 0.18 μV|
|Squelch Sensitivity||Less than 0.13 μV|
|Selectivity||-6 dB||More than 10 kHz|
|-50 dB||Audio Output More tha|
|Audio Output||More than 400 mW (8 Ω / 10 % distortion)|
* Assuming a duty cycle of 6-second transmit, 6-second receive, 48-second standby
Specifications are guaranteed for amateur radio bands only. Specifications shown are typical.
Specifications are subject to change without notice, due to advancements in technology.
Applicable MIL-STD & IP
|Low Pressure||500.1/Procedure I||500.2/Procedure I, II||500.3/Procedure I, II||500.4/Procedure I, II||500.5/Procedure I, II|
|High Temperature||501.1/Procedure I, II||501.2/Procedure I, II||501.3/Procedure I, II||501.4/Procedure I, II||501.5/Procedure I, II|
|Low Temperature||502.1/Procedure I||502.2/Procedure I, II||502.3/Procedure I, II||502.4/Procedure I, II||502.5/Procedure I, II|
|Temperature Shock||503.1/Procedure I||503.2/Procedure I||503.3/Procedure I||503.4/Procedure I, II||503.5/Procedure I|
|Solar Radiation||505.1/Procedure I||505.2/Procedure I||505.3/Procedure I||505.4/Procedure I||505.5/Procedure I|
|Rain||506.1/Procedure II||506.2/Procedure II||506.3/Procedure II||506.4/Procedure III||506.5/Procedure III|
|Humidity||507.1/Procedure I, II||507.2/Procedure II, III||507.3/Procedure II, III||507.4||507.5/Procedure II|
|Salt Fog||509.1/Procedure I||509.2/Procedure I||509.3/Procedure I||509.4||509.5|
|Dust||510.1/Procedure I||510.2/Procedure I||510.3/Procedure I||510.4/Procedure I, III||510.5/Procedure I|
|Vibration||514.2/Procedure VIII, X||514.3/Procedure I||514.4/Procedure I||514.5/Procedure I||514.6/Procedure I|
|Shock||516.2/Procedure I, II, V||516.3/Procedure I, IV||516.4/Procedure I, IV||516.5/Procedure I, IV||516.6/Procedure I, IV|
|International Protection Standard|
|Dust & Water Protection||IP54|